'Saw' franchise is getting a crazy reboot with eight new movies

One of horror's most enduringly gruesome franchises is Saw.

Jigsaw gave a whole new meaning to the word game with his twisted - and often deadly - trials which put people's morality and desire for life to the ultimate test.

And while the original franchise came to an end in 2010, followed by a movie based Jigsaw himself in 2017, it's now getting a reboot with eight new (and undoubtedly bloody) movies.

One of Jigsaw's contraptions. Credit: Lionsgate

The exciting announcement for horror fans was made on Thursday of last week by Lionsgate.

But perhaps most interestingly - or concerningly - of all is the fact that the movies will be rebooted by none other than comedian Chris Rock, USA Today reported.

Chris Rock smiling. Credit: Getty

Joe Drake, Lionsgate’s Motion Picture Group chairman, said:

"When Chris Rock came to us and described in chilling detail his fantastic vision that reimagines and spins off the world of the notorious Jigsaw Killer, we were all in.

"This upcoming film will still be as mind-bending and intense as all the previous SAW films. Chris conceived this idea and it will be completely reverential to the legacy of the material while reinvigorating the brand with his wit, creative vision and passion for this classic horror franchise."

The studio said that Rock's reboot will be "completely reverential" to the original series.

But this reboot shouldn't really as a huge surprise. Even though Jigsaw was met with comparatively poor reviews critically, it was still a box office success, raking in over $102 million.

Rock said of the reboot in a statement cited by the Metro:

"I've been a fan of 'Saw' since the first film in 2004. I am excited by the opportunity to take this to a really intense and twisted new place."

While specific details about the upcoming movies aren't known, it's safe to say that, like their predecessors, they'll be almighty gorefests, with the first installment set to be released in time for Halloween 2020.