Kennel owner reveals why he wrapped woman's dog in tape after receiving death threats

A Dublin-based kennel owner has explained why he wrapped a customer's dead dog in masking tape and bin bags.

Paddy Cullen gave the explanation after the owner's Facebook post about the dog went viral.

Kirsten Kinch wrote that after a three-day stay at P&E Kennels, her husky, Nova, who was on steroids for an "issue with colitis" but was otherwise "healthy", died and was returned to her in a "completely inhuman" way.

She explained:

"I was due to collect Nova on the 31st of December, I went straight from the airport to P&E to do this. I rang the kennels four times while we sat outside in the car waiting to be let in to pick her up. Clive answered [on] the fourth try and asked which dog I was here to collect I said I was here for Nova and I was then told to come around to the back gate.

"As we walked in the gate, myself and my mom were told that Nova had passed away and they had found her this morning in her kennel with blood coming from her.

"We where [sic] completely shocked and beyond devastated to hear this and at first I thought it was some horrible joke considering we had left a healthy dog in to be cared for 3 days earlier."

However, despite Cullen appearing to have no empathy for Kinch or respect for Nova's remains, he revealed that he had dealt with the dog's remains in this "inhuman way" for a good reason.

Explaining his actions, Cullen said to the Herald:

 "There's two sides to every story.

"There was two dogs left in to us on December 27.

"They came in for four days and one of them was an ill dog and the other one was OK. The one that was ill was on steroids.

"On the fourth day the dog died and bled out from the rear end. If a dog bleeds out it can throw out a virus called parvovirus which can wipe out all your dogs within 24 hours.

"We had a lot of dogs left in for the Christmas period, and I said seal the dog up in black plastic bags and that's what they did.

"The lady came home, we explained it to her, she said she was going off to have an autopsy done and she was to come back and let us know what happened, but she didn't."

In the now-viral Facebook post, Kinch said that the kennel had given her no explanation about why her dog had died and that she had sent Nova to Dublin City University (DCU) for a postmortem examination.

Now, has reported that DCU concluded Nova died from internal bleeding - though its cause was not specified.

Cullen told the Herald that he has had death threats from strangers because of Kinch's post:

"I was told my home is going to be burnt down with my kids in it, they're going to come in and cut up my kids and put them in black plastic bags and tape them up with masking tape.

"People think if you put a dog in a bag you're a killer, but we did what we had to do."

The kennel owner, who has cared for dogs since 1986 and also runs a pet rescue called Second Chance Pets, now fears that his business has "gone down the drain".